Saturday, June 23, 2012

Today WAS the day

Today was one of the days that I have been impatiently awaiting!!!!!

Today was the Pasadena Livestock Show and Rodeos 3rd Annual SteakOff, and I had such a great time. I have wanted to join a rodeo committee for a very long time, and last year, when I finally did it, I could not believe that I had waited so long to actually do it. I am even more happy that I chose to get in on a brand new committee/event, and I plan on doing it every year from here on out, as long as they will have me. I met some great people, and they all know how to have a good time.
This is a tailgate party for the most part. Yes, some cook teams have the big flashy pits, and all that, but that does not mean they are going to win. I means they are about to have a good time, and that they have the hopes of showing others a good time as well.
The first year of this event, there were 5 cook teams. The second year (when I joined) there were 13. This year, there were 17 teams! It is growing!!! Next year, I personally hope to see at least 30 teams.
These teams come out and set up early the morning of the event, pay the $100 dollar entry fee for the steak, and $25 dollars per dessert, cook their steak that they will turn in to be judged, cook lots of other food, for their group and anybody else that comes to their tent, many of them serve drinks (mostly beer and mixed drinks or shots) and nobody is a stranger. It seems that everybody welcomes everybody, and that is good. I mean, we are all there to have fun right?
Once the judging is complete and awards are handed out, almost everybody gives their cash prize right back to the event, which goes to scholarships for area high school students during the rodeo.
This is something that you just have to be there to really see and understand. I LOVE IT!


With all of that being said, I am worn out, and so ready to go to bed. I will write more later (but probably not about steakoff haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment